Monday, July 18, 2011

School and Sensory Issues

We are on our TWO day count down until school starts.  I am both excited, nervous and anxious.  S is about to go into 1st grade with 20 something students in one class and one teacher as opposed to her 3 teachers and 18 kids.  Kindergarten was full of music, poems, and cute readings.  No more of that and WELCOME to the REAL WORLD my dear 1st grader.

School is intense these days. Can you imagine that with language, coping and sensory disorders? I feel horrible, like I am throwing her into a mash pit.  I wish I could sit with her all day or just watch her from a far. I too am learning to let her go and do the best I can do when I can. I am sure she will do just fine and the other issues will come at home.   J is about to go into 2nd grade and he does amazing in school. Our only obstacle is homework. To make him do it, it's like pulling teeth as a matter a fact I think he would rather have a tooth pulled then actually do homework.

S on the other hand LOVES HOMEWORK, work books, and learning new things.  To get her to play is pulling teeth.   All in all we are ready for the first day of school on Wednesday.

S is back to her typical self with the usual quirks to her day. Today I found myself pondering the sensory disorders.  I have been getting her clothes ready for school and found that most of her old stuff I have gotten rid of not because she outgrew it but because they had elastic in them, or pants are too tight.  I love FASHION and so sometimes I do make her wear a pair of skinny jeans.  If I can get her in them at the last minute, distract her in the morning and run out the door. WAHLA!! She's wearing them in the car and if she complains she can't change till we get back - Is that mean???

Another one of her sensory issues are smells.  She has this amazing nose. She can smell a certain smell a mile away.  Things that wouldn't typically bother someone always irritate her.  Gas smells, TOOTS as we call it, stinky smells, sweet smells, etc... She has a nose like a Dog or some kind of animal that has an amazing nose.

Today I had to tell her to stop smelling the sewer or drain that she was standing by. She was just standing their smelling it and commenting.  Smells intrigue her.  She said that she wasn't putting her nose on it just standing close to it mommy and it STINKS.

Can anyone explain these to me? I think sometimes this is a big part of my annoyance that I have to overlook.  Their are other sensory issues but I overlook them.

Well TWO days away.... I find out what teachers they both have tomorrow.  For J, I am not familiar with the second grade spanish teachers.  For S, I have my hopes set on one teacher and praying that she doesn't get the other. We will find out soon........

No comments: