Friday, December 26, 2014

Sensory

As I am learning about Autism and it's becoming more apparent to me of my daughters needs, my husband and I realized  this holiday season just how overwhelming it is for her. Don't get me wrong I always knew holidays were difficult for her no matter if it was Halloween with the costumes, or birthday's because of the people and noise. It's just that knowing and accepting is making us see it more clearly.   It felt like this Christmas she was at her peak with breakdowns. We would get over one tantrum and another one would start. I don't even think she knew why at times.  Christmas lights the night before Christmas Eve = people, crowds, noise, lights = overwhelming, Christmas Eve Party = Overwhelming, Christmas Day = More Stimulation..


Next Year I need too better prepare her. I need to give her a schedule with time limits on how long we will be at places. Headphones to deal with noise (these help her at theme parks), and help my other ones understand her. I am questioning if we will have a peaceful Christmas ever or will I dread the holidays for the rest of my life. I am still being yelled at this morning. I have learned to turn the volume up on the radio to drown out the crying, too literally shut off/ignore her verbally attacking me. At times I tell her to do what she wants and she still argues. Will she always be this way/


I asked K (6years old ) and J (10 years old) their perspective of Christmas Time.


J's perspective on S - "A lot of times at Christmas she doesn't like sharing her new toys.  It seems like sometimes that it's hard for her, the parties, having to play with others friends or family. I don't know why she cries. When she has her fits I don't understand why she needs to cry.  It's part of our life but it makes me feel upset."


K's perspective on S- " I think she cries because she doesn't like her presents. When she cries I think it's really hard for you to handle.  She's made different, I don't want a sister crying so much. I want to be able to play games with her. It's a happy time when we can play together. When she cries I pray, I prayed a lot during Christmas for a good Christmas. "


Next Year I am counting a little bit more peace.

No comments: