Monday, August 29, 2011

The 1st appointment....

This was the make it or break it appointment for me. Or at least it felt like it.  I was getting so tired of all the crazy things some of the different doctors were saying.  They all wanted to give their opinions with no help or guidance.  This including the crazy lady that said my child was not Autistic because she could talk!!! 


I never doubted Children's but I did spend the day in prayer.  I prayed that the Lord would open these doctors eyes and help us to diagnose S.  I still  pray this since she won't be seen until the 22nd of September.   This doctor heard me explain everything and show a couple of videos.  The one thing I forgot to mention was about S's conversational skills but I'm sure that will come up another time.    


It seemed like the doctor understood what I was trying to explian.   She laughed at the doctor who said the nonsense and acknowledged my concern for S.  She understood that children like S can pass under the radar since their problems are mainly out of school.  S's teacher wrote a letter as did the school pshycolgist. Her teacher noted concerns or odd behavior she notices in S - "S likes to organize my stuff without me asking, her overly helper skills that get in the way of learning, her touchiness (sensory) with other.. etc...."  since her teacher wrote this letter the doctor said that it shows that it's enough of a problem/or out of the norm for the teacher to bring to my attention.  Most teachers try to overlook minor issues.  I can go on... and on... but I will say the winner of it all and all I wanted was for someone to say "If it is not Aspergers, it does not mean that she won't benefit from the same therapies, and we will give these to her either way..."  YES, YES... that is all I wanted.  


The other opinion I heard is that it could be emotional regulation problems.  The only part of this, that I don't think it is.  Is that S has language issues as well. So we will wait and see.... 

Feeling positive right now and holding on to hope.

No comments: